Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Of married people

Don't you just hate it when married people act as if it's a sin to have fun in the absence of their better halves? I had a friend in Hamburg whose wife couldn't join him for one year due to visa issues. Everytime there was talk of going somewhere for sight seeing or trying a new restaurant or going to the movies, his typical response used to be: "I don't have such interests but I will go when my wife gets here." He spent his days in a constant wait state. Holding off any fun activities until 'she' got there.

Then there is the case of a friend whose facebook statuses reflect a level of despair in direct correlation to the distance between the two of them. Something like 'Life is good' means she is in town; 'Ain't no sunshine when she is gone' means she just left town; 'Not having the best of days' means the wifey won't be back for a while and the local maxima '...is highly demotivated these days', I'm scared to even speculate where it goes next. Although his is a special case of MoIP (Married over IP) and warrants a separate blog post (coming soon) and even though he participates in online activities and tries to sneak back into the cool singles club, the distinction is almost always apparent.

A similar case is of Humpty Dumpty who works with me. Even a hint of 'extra curricular' activities elicits the annoyingly regular response of 'gar nicht' (no way). I mean, come on dude. You can't even go out for a little ice cream with the rest of the gang? Are you afraid it won't taste good enough if you go out with the rest of us mere mortals.

And don't even get me started on the girls. Don't. I might get into trouble for that :P



I respect the connection married people share with their spouses. It's a wonderful thing. They should consider themselves lucky. But remember that before you got hitched, you used to be individuals. Not part of some two headed entity that cannot function if separated. Being such needy saps accomplishes nothing expect rubbing it in the face of us singles that you got there first. So stop crying already and come to the party.

For those reading between the lines, you got it right. I am single (and available :P) and enjoying life in the ever decreasing ranks of the singles club.

5 comments:

  1. Why are you getting jealous? Is this because you are still single (and desparate)? Don't be disappointed, my friend. Geek girls are hard to find but I am sure there is a perfect match for you out there. All you need to do is to start looking at the right places. I'd say you start from the Twelve Colonies of Kobol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your information the twelve colonies were destroyed in the Cylon attack........wait....did you just call me a geek? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my points go to JDee..looks like our friend is getting desperate, as he'll be hitting the big 3-O very soon ;P

    Faraz, you're also right, and the guy is very smart, saving money for an adventure that he'd rather have with his wife than rowdy bachelors :P

    As for me, I'm not taking sides here...considering that I'm 'in between' the two stages Warrior has depicted. ;)

    I've had (and am still having) many bachelor/single adventures, trips, crazy fun stuff...and a year from now, I'd like to share them with my better half too, without regrets. No one is losing their individuality...its just trying to experience the same things in a different way.

    You wouldn't know, Anakin...you're not even near 'there' yet :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desparate. Yeah right.
    So you are saying that its better to spend your time in misery and solitude wishing u could spend it with ur other half rather than living in the moment and enjoying life. Thats a sad way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. like i said, you wouldn't know yet ;)

    ReplyDelete