Thursday, April 16, 2009

Uninstalling Ububtu

Ubuntu is a nice little Linux distribution which everybody has come to love. I remember the first time I ordered free CDs. They sent me a live CD too. It was the latest next-best-thing-since-... in free stuff :P

Anyway, last week I was playing around with Ubuntu Server Edition on my system and after a few hours I realized I had had enough. You know, how depressing it can get without any GUI etc. So I decided to uninstall it but I didn't know how. I googled it (naturally). Results were like "Who would want to uninstall cute little Ubuntu?", "Are you crazy?" and my favourite "Go to hell MS lover." :) That was some serious sentimental shit. It was like when someone asked me to sell my Khyber. My first response was "How on Earth could he even think of such a horrible thing?"

But I had to do what I had to do. I HAD to sell my Khyber and I HAD to uninstall Ubuntu. After quite some searching I found out how to do it while keeping my Vista installation intact.

Since grub is installed by default, install lilo so that its MBR (Master Boot Record) restore feature can be used later on. Run the following to install lilo:

sudo apt-get install lilo

After lilo has been installed run the following to restore the MBR to its pre-Ubuntu state and safely boot in Windows:

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

I have lived happily ever after since that day :P and have ordered the latest 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) Desktop Edition. Can't wait to install it with its lovely GUI :)

2 comments: